dimanche 25 avril 2010

Spice Street

So I know a lot of UNC students view this as a place to get sushi, but eh. please don't.

I went there with T on Thursday and we tried a few things: The Caribbean Roll 2, She-Crab Soup and Bouillabaise. We shared.

She-Crab Soup: This was tasty because it was creamy and rich and tasted so crabby in every way. This was not tasty because it was a bit salty. The bowl ($5) was a soup of the day and gave a significant amount of soup, enough for two people to have a taste and enough for one person to half-fill themselves on. The soup was also a bit on the oily side, which didn't exactly bother me, but was still a bit disconcerting nonetheless. As i was eating it, I was thinking about some girls I've seen around campus and silently snickered at the thought of one of them eating this and freaking out.

Bouillabaise: I have to admit, this was my first time with a bouillabaise, and I'm not very qualified to judge it the way it's supposed to be, but I can say that for a seafood stew, it was a bit too tart for my taste. I prefer my seafood soups to be light and balanced, not tart. It was supposed to be shrimp, clams, mussels, fish of the day (which I've noticed was salmon) and scallop in a lobster-fennel broth. Lobster-fennel broth....when I saw that, I thought rich and deep, not light and tart, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to taste like, so I can't say for sure if this was a thumbs down, but I wished the broth was a bit more to my taste. The seafood, however, was cooked perfectly. The clams and mussels were tender and the mussels especially was not fishy, which is always nice. The salmon was nice and soft, more well-cooked than the salmon at Maggiano's for sure. Overall, I think the bouillabaise was still pretty decent.

Caribbean Roll 2: I can't find the sushi menu, so I can't tell you exactly what was in here, but I know there was cucumber since I don't like cucumbers. I know T did, though, so I took one for the team. It had a sweetness to it, I remember, but I couldn't exactly taste the fish inside so I can't comment on the freshness, and it was certainly a tiny roll for the price, even if it was on half-price Thursday. For the money-conscious student, there are far better places to get tasty and cheap sushi.

Overall, the meal was ok, but I wouldn't get any of those items again. The lighting was also way too dark for my liking and the music was too loud. I did write this on their comment cards, along with the salty soup as feedback.

Aucun commentaire: